Birch Gold is 3rd Place in our List of Top 10 Gold IRA Companies:
- BCA Rating: AAA
- BCA Complaints: 0 complaints in the past 3 years
- BBB Rating: A+
- BBB Complaints: 6 complaints closed in the past 3 years
- TrustLink: (5/5 stars) based on 73 reviews and complaints
Investing is tricky. There are so many options to choose from and so much misinformation out there. One talking head financial advisor says investors should only buy stocks. The next talking head on TV swears something totally different. They’ll tell you that ETFs or mutual funds or index funds, yada, yada, yada… are the only worthy investment.
You’ve managed to cut through the noise. You’ve discovered the truth and the heart of the matter. You’ve learned about precious metals IRAs and the enduring value of gold throughout the millennia. That’s why you’re interested in discovering more about Birch Gold.
As the 3rd company on our Top 10 list, Birch Gold has much to offer its loyal customers. They consistently receive great reviews from satisfied customers with the occasional complaint mixed in. But overall, this is a solid company worthy of their 3rd place ranking.
In fact, conservative pundit Ben Shapiro has high praise for Birch Gold. He believes in them and their products so much that he’s partnered with the company since August 2016. This is a great endorsement from a highly respected voice in American politics. Birch Gold CEO Laith Alsarraf and the rest of the team should be proud of their many industry accomplishments.
How Birch Gold Stacks Up in our 7 Critical Factors Test
We’ve taken it upon ourselves to fully examine each gold IRA company while selecting our Top 10 list. We put each one to the test by evaluating them based on 7 critical factors.
As investors, you should perform the same detailed level of research when choosing a precious metals IRA company. But in this case you no longer have to. We’ve handled the heavy lifting for you.
Our 7 critical factors test provides ample opportunities to discover where a company excels and where they need to improve. The evaluation factors we use to determine who belongs on the Top 10 list include:
- online peer-reviewed ratings
- types of precious metals: coins, bars, and rounds
- precious metals buyback program
- IRA fees
- account setup & delivery
- customer support & salesman
We thoroughly examined Birch Gold to determine how they stack up in each one of these categories. Overall, based on a combination of factors, they came in 3rd place.
Although far from perfect in some categories, they performed admirably overall and the company is definitely deserving of its great reputation.
1. Online Peer-Reviewed Ratings
As you can imagine, Birch Gold has received many reviews and ratings since their inception in 2003. Their customers are vocal and proud to do business with this organization. In fact, they’ve reviewed them on the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Business Consumer Alliance (BCA) and Trustlink websites.
Some reviews are more positive than others. But overall, the company has successfully serviced thousands of satisfied customers for the past 16 years and counting.
Based on what we’ve learned, Birch Gold’s reviews and ratings look like the following:
- They’ve earned an AAA rating with the BCA, which is their highest rating. They haven’t received any complaints from dissatisfied customers in the past 3 years.
- They’ve earned an A+ rating with the BBB, which is also their highest rating. Birch Gold received 6 complaints (now closed) in the past 3 years.
- Their current Trustlink ranking is a perfect 5 out of 5 stars. This is based on a combination of 73 reviews and/or complaints.
Clearly, Birch Gold is a company you can trust. They’ve earned their respect in this industry along with any accolades they’ve received throughout the years. Even better, their customers seem to love them. Just look at some of their most recent Trustlink reviews:
- Tina G. writes, “During my experience with Birch, I found them to always put the customer first.”
- Rylee A. writes, “The gold ira rollover process went pretty well, I don’t have any complaints.”
Unfortunately, no company is perfect. They’ve received a few complaints throughout the years too. Their most recent issue on the BBB website is:
- An anonymous female customer writes, “They have misleading sales practices and advise you to purchase items in their best interest that contradict your needs/wants.”
It’s this review and a few others like it that held Birch Gold back from going any further in ranking on our Top 10 list.
2. Types of Precious Metals: Coins, Bars, and Rounds
Birch Gold offers their customers a wide range of well-rounded products for their precious metals IRA. If interested, you can buy gold, silver, platinum, and palladium coins, bars, and rounds as retirement investments.
Some of their top products include:
- American Gold Eagle (bullion)
- American Gold Eagle (proof)
- Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle ($20)
- Silver Twin Maples
- Canadian Silver Maple Leaf
- Peace Silver Dollar
- American Platinum Eagle
- Platinum Bars and Rounds
- Canadian Palladium Maple Leaf
- Palladium Bars and Rounds
3. Precious Metals Buyback Program
Life never seems to go smoothly. One moment everything is fine. Then a sudden personal crisis hits and you need to get your hands on cash. And fast.
Buying precious metals for your Gold IRA from Birch Gold is a great idea. But selling them in a pinch might not be the easiest thing to accomplish. Unlike other gold companies, it doesn’t appear that Birch has a buyback program in place.
There’s only one brief mention of buying back gold buried on their website. It states:
“If you ever decide to sell your metals, we always appreciate the first right of refusal to buy back – without commission.
What does this mean? It means they might buy back your precious metals commission free. But they don’t guarantee it. So you may get stuck selling to a third party if you need money in a pinch.
Stockpiling can be a tricky topic for novice investors. Basically, there are two options called co-mingled and segregated stockpiling. One option is clearly better than the other as you’ll see:
- With co-mingled stockpiling, your storage company will store your metals in a vault with metals owned by other investors. This is a far cry from our favorite option.
- With segregated stockpiling, your storage company will store your metals in a dedicated vault set aside just for you. This is the best option in our opinion.
Birch Gold recommends two storage companies to trust with your physical precious metals. They both have excellent reputations. The companies include:
- Delaware Depository – this company is approved to store IRA assets including precious metals. Their website states, “All bullion is fully allocated to the account holder and held off-balance sheet.” The term “allocated” typically coincides with co-mingled storage. Their website doesn’t mention segregated storage, so it doesn’t appear to be an option.
- Brinks Global Services – the name Brinks is synonymous with security. Their locations in New York, London, and elsewhere are authorized depositories for certain approved precious metals. Armed guards transport your gold in armored vehicles. This company offers segregated storage and also works with our #1 gold IRA company, Regal Assets.
5. IRA Fees
Birch Gold doesn’t clearly state how much customers will pay in yearly IRA fees. But you can expect to pay the following fees in most cases:
- Account setup fees
- Ongoing custodial fees
- Precious metals storage fees
- Insurance fees
Taken directly from their website, they say, “As with any retirement savings plan, account set-up and annual fees will apply. Please speak to your Precious Metals Specialist to learn more. On transfers over $50,000, Birch Gold Group will pay your first year’s fees.”
6. Account Setup & Delivery
Birch Gold has representatives on hand to assist customers with the account setup process. They’ve chosen STRATA Trust Company and Kingdom Trust as their gold IRA custodians of choice.
STRATA Trust maintains an A+ rating with the BBB. Most of their reviews are positive. Although one customer says they have an “unprofessional approach to their accounting system.”
Kingdom Trust also maintains an A+ rating with the BBB. But their reviews leave a lot to be desired. They have 6 one star reviews and 1 two star review in the past three years.
Caution: Please be wary of Kingdom Trust. They have a negative reputation based on poor online complaints and reviews.
As far as delivery goes, Birch Gold typically ships metals within 3 to 7 days, but doesn’t guarantee fast shipment. All shipments are fully insured against damage or loss and shipped in discrete packaging.
7. Customer Support & Salesmanship
This company has serviced many happy customers throughout the years. Some reviewers had the following to say about their sales and customer support staff:
- James J says, “Moved an old IRA to a precious metal IRA with Birch Gold. The Birch Gold team explained the full process. Took time to answer any questions I had and handled the transfer with speed and ease. Very happy with going with Birch Gold!”
- Jeffrey R says, “Birch Gold was awesome. They sent all the info I could need and answered all my questions and concerns prior to sale. There was never any pressure and it was easily the most enjoyable purchase I’ve made. I would highly recommend Birch for anyone looking to invest in their 401k or protecting their assets with precious metals.”
There are countless other positive reviews on the web similar to these. Birch Gold clearly has a knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful customer support and sales staff in place.
Birch Gold Contact Details
- Address: Central Park Building, 3500 W. Olive Ave., Suite 730, Burbank, CA 91505
- Phone: (800) 355-2116
- Fax: (800) 965-3620
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.birchgold.com/