As an investor, it’s your job to understand that some precious metals aren’t eligible for a gold IRA. You may want to own metals like platinum, silver, gold, and palladium as part of a self-directed precious metals IRA. It’s an exciting way to solidify your financial future. But some options are eligible while others aren’t.
A quick example of eligible coins includes the following:
- Australian Kangaroos
- American Eagles
- Canadian Maple Leafs
They are a few of the available options that you might want to consider adding to your precious metals IRA. There are also some valuable gold and silver bars that also fit the bill.
With that said, we’ll talk more about the specific choices to add to your precious metals IRA. We’ll also share other valuable information on this topic as well.
So keep reading to discover the truth. And while you’re at it, please consider buying gold and other metals from our favorite online broker, Regal Assets. They are the premier gold IRA broker on the web and have more than 10 years of accolades and accomplishments to make their case.
What Is IRA Eligible Gold?
There is one major factor that determines if certain coins and bars are IRA eligible. And the factor that we are speaking about is purity. Only the purest forms of gold, silver, platinum, and palladium are acceptable in this investment vehicle.
These investments do not have to be 100% pure. But they have to be very close to it. In fact, the acceptable purity levels and the quality of coins and bars must meet the following guidelines:
- Gold Purity Level Must Be Equal to or Greater Than .995+
- Silver Purity Level Must Be Equal to or Greater Than .999+
- Platinum Purity Level Must Be Equal to or Greater Than .9995+
- Palladium Purity Level Must Be Equal to or Greater Than .9995+
Anything else below these purity levels is just unacceptable for a gold IRA. Certain coins and bars are specifically designed to meet these criteria. We will share the specific names in each category with you below to give you a better understanding.
Precious Metals IRA Acceptable Gold Coins & Bars
- American Eagle Gold Coins
- Australian Kangaroo/Nugget Gold Coins
- Austrian Philharmonic Gold Coins
- Canadian Maple Leaf Gold Coins
- Credit Suisse Gold – Pamp Suisse Gold Bars .999
- U. S. Buffalo Gold Uncirculated Coins (No Proofs)
- Approved gold bars and rounds from accredited manufacturers including the National Mint, Nymex/Comex, ISE-9000, NYSE/Liffe/CBOT, LBMA, and LME.
Precious Metals IRA Acceptable Silver Coins & Bars
- American Eagle Silver Coins
- Australian Kookaburra Silver Coins
- Australian Philharmonic Silver Coins
- Canadian Maple Leaf Silver Coins
- Mexican Libertad Silver Coins
- Approved silver bars and rounds from accredited manufacturers including the National Mint, Nymex/Comex, ISE-9000, NYSE/Liffe/CBOT, LBMA, and LME.
Precious Metals IRA Acceptable Platinum Coins & Bars
- American Eagle Platinum Coins
- Australian Koala Platinum Coins
- Canadian Maple Leaf Platinum Coins
- Isle Of Man Noble Platinum Coins
- Approved platinum bars and rounds from accredited manufacturers including the National Mint, Nymex/Comex, ISE-9000, NYSE/Liffe/CBOT, LBMA, and LME.
Precious Metals IRA Acceptable Palladium Coins & Bars
- Canadian Maple Leaf Palladium Coins
- Approved palladium bars and rounds from accredited manufacturers including the National Mint, Nymex/Comex, ISE-9000, NYSE/Liffe/CBOT, LBMA, and LME.
As you can clearly see, the IRS is very strict about the investments eligible for a gold IRA. But now you know the truth about what is IRA eligible gold. And you can invest correctly knowing that you’re purchasing the best metals for your retirement account.
We recommend choosing Regal Assets as your gold broker of choice. They are an impressive company with more than 10 years of experience. Even better, they’ve accumulated amazing testimonials from previous happy customers as well as many industry accolades throughout the years. Call them to open your precious metals IRA today.
Examples of Metal Unapproved for a Precious Metals IRA
Now that we’ve discussed the best coins and bars available for a gold IRA, it’s time to switch gears. We will now take a look at the types of specific precious metals that you should avoid as a retirement investor.
Believe it or not, certain coins and bars aren’t pure enough to reach the standards mentioned above. So if you purchase these investments, you will not be eligible to add them to your precious metals IRA. And you’ll lose the ability to make tax-free gains on these investments until retirement.
The specific investments to avoid include the following:
- French Franc
- Mexican Ounza and Peso
- Austrian Ducat and Corona
- Belgian Franc
- Dutch Guilder
- Chilean Peso
- British Britannia and Sovereign
- South African Krugerrand
- Colombian Peso
- Hungarian Korona
- Swiss Franc
- German Mark
- Italian Lira
- U. S. Buffalo Proof
- U. S. Liberty
- Russian George the Victorious Coin
- USSR Chevronet Coins
- French Napoleon Coins
- Israel Tower of David Coins
- Chinese Panda Coins
- Rare and collectible coins
Other Acceptable Small Bullion Bars for a Precious Metals IRA
It’s also important to know that purchasing certain small bullion bars is also eligible for a gold IRA. They must all be manufactured to the correct weight specifications mentioned below. These bars include the following options:
- 400 Ounce Gold Bars
- 100 Ounce Gold Bars
- 1000 Ounce Silver Bars
- 50 Ounce Platinum Bars
- 100 Ounce Palladium Bars
Some of you may read these lists of acceptable and excluded precious metals products and become afraid of making mistakes. There’s nothing to fear when investing in these exciting and valuable gold, platinum, palladium, and silver products.
Why? A competent gold broker like Regal Assets will never steer your wrong. That’s why we recommend them so strongly to our readers.
For starters, every product available on their website is approved for a precious metals IRA. So you’ll never have to worry about purchasing the wrong type of gold or silver and fear it isn’t eligible. Plus, if you have any questions or concerns you can speak with the competent members of their customer service team. They will gladly help you in every way that they can.
Begin investing in a gold IRA right away. You now know the exact coins and bars that are eligible for this type of account. And you know exactly what to avoid as well. Good luck on your retirement investing journey!